OBEN Parent - Code of Conduct
* Terms and Conditions of Registration
As a Parent or Spectator:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for our children, not for adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical/mental disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of OBEN Soccer and Long Island Junior Soccer League and instruct my children of the same.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player or parent such as booing and/or taunting, refusing to shake hands or using profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health or well-being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, spectators and officials with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or any other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child in the long run over winning the game at the moment. I will also de-emphasize competition and score keeping in the lower age groups of Intramural.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game or practice field.
- I will demand a sport environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during their games or practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team
- Under no circumstances will I ever be physically or verbally abusive towards any coach, player, official or other spectator.
- I have read the above and agree to abide by the terms set forth. I understand and agree that not adhering to OBEN or LIJSL policy can result in ejection from a field and/or dismissal or suspension from the club of my family or myself.